Step 4: Register in SAM and DSBS
Registering in SAM will set your business up for electronic payment (Electronic Funds Transfer—EFT) on federal contracts and will establish a Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) code, a five (5) position code that provides a standardized method for identifying companies and is used to support a variety of mechanized systems throughout the government. There are two parts to the registration.
PART II: Login to SAM and begin your representations and certifications process.
Submit a notarized letter that names the SAM Entity Administrator using these instructions within 30 days of completing your registration.
- The Unique Entity ID is a 12-character alphanumeric ID assigned to an entity by SAM.gov.
- As part of this transition, the DUNS Number has been removed from SAM.gov.
- Entity registration, searching, and data entry in SAM.gov now require use of the new Unique Entity ID.
- Existing registered entities can find their Unique Entity ID by following the steps here.
- New entities can get their Unique Entity ID at SAM.gov and, if required, complete an entity registration.
Submitting Notarized Letter to Federal Service Desk
The letter must be notarized, scanned and submitted to the Federal Service Desk ( www.fsd.gov ). The new Entity Administrator must have an individual SAM User Account created with the e-mail address provided in the notarized letter. Follow the steps below to submit the scanned notarized letter to the FSD:
- Log in to FSD.gov
- Click Create an Incident.
- Select System for Award Management (SAM) in the System Name field.
- Select SAM: Notarized Letter in the Issue Type field.
- Fill out all remaining fields.
- Select the Paperclip icon to add attachments and attach your scanned notarized letter.
- Once you have filled out all required information and attached your notarized letter, click Submit.
If your primary business office in Hawaii is located in a rural are not serviced by the USPS, your address will not be the USPS validation database. When SAM attempts to verify your CAGE code with DUNS and USPS, it will report an error and Fail your registration for CAGE Code Validation Failure.
The email will look similar to this:
We were unable to successfully process the entity registration you submitted in the System for Award Management (SAM) due to a problem with the assignment (or validation) of your Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) Code by the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA).
Your registration status in SAM has been updated from Submitted back to Work in Progress. DLA CAGE provided the following reason for rejection to SAM: D&B changes or updates needed, incorrect or incomplete physical address. Now What??????
Follow this simple process Hi-PTAC has developed to quickly obtain full Validation!
- Check for your address in USPS (or lack of USPS address): https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction_input
- Pull a .pdf of your DUNS registration showing your address is identical to SAM: https://www.dnb.com/duns-number/lookup.html
- Pull a .pdf of a lease, mortgage, utility bill etc. that has the same address on it as well:
- Simply go into SAM and resubmit the registration, Do Not Make any Changes!!! If you make no changes and resubmit the registration within 30 days of the original system return, the system will not return a second time. The system will send the registration to a CAGE Technician for manual validation.
- Send an email with the attached documents (DUNS, Proof of Address) to [email protected]
- Address the email with the following statement: Attached are the documents to be sent for Manual Verification. Due to the business being located in a rural area not serviced by USPS, the physical address is not in the USPS database. Mailing address is a PO Box.
- Defense Logistics Agency (DLA)
DLA Customer Interaction Center – 1-877-352-2255 (Available 24 X 7)